JOB SUMMARY: Provide appropriate, efficient and timely pre-hospital basic life support care and transportation of the sick and injured in accordance with local, state, national and Acadian Companies standards of practice.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:This job description is not intended, nor should it be construed, to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, skills or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a general description of the essential duties and requirements common to positions of this type and may be subject to change. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Conducts a careful examination of the patient for signs and symptoms of illness/injury and assists other medical personnel as
- Administers prompt and efficient basic life support care within the limits of licensure or certification and in accordance with approved protocols prior to and during
- Provides careful handling of the patient to and from the
- Provides safe and efficient transport of the patient in the ambulance to the medical
- Provides a safe and efficient transfer of patient and patient care information to the receiving personnel at the
- Documents all aspects of patient condition and treatment on EMS run Obtains and records non-medical patient information as required. Completes other patient documentation and forms as required
- Conducts regular unit inventory and equipment testing to ensure all equipment for which the EMT Basic is responsible is present, clean and in proper working order.
- Upon completion of transport, responsible for all assigned duties which will place the ambulance and equipment back in
- Responsible for full knowledge of the ambulance’s basic life support equipment and its proper use at all times.
- Documents and reports all needed repairs to the proper maintenance departments (electronic or mechanical) as well as to supervisors and other ambulance personnel as
- In the absence of other qualified personnel, responsible for the use of basic extrication tools and procedures to gain access to the patient if
- In the absence of other qualified personnel, responsible for controlling the patient’s surroundings in such a way as to minimize further danger and control the actions of bystanders.
- In both the emergency and non-emergency setting, operates I drives the ambulance in a safe and efficient manner, following company driving guidelines, so the safety or condition of the occupants are not
- Follows all FCC regulations when communicating via electronic communications
- Attends all mandatory meetings as
- Completes assigned station and station grounds
- Orders supplies and equipment from Central Supply to replenish station and ambulance inventories as needed.
- Completes assigned ambulance duties (i.e., washing, waxing, interior and exterior cleaning, etc.) as required.
- Completes all required company reports and logs and when necessary provides other ambulance and supervisory personnel with the
- If an approved preceptor, responsible for precepting new employees as
- If an approved preceptor, responsible for precepting EMT-Basic students as directed
- Must meet and fulfill the qualifications, requirements, functions and responsibilities of the Emergency Medical Technician -Basic job
- Performs rescue operations, including vehicle extrications, in a manner which does not put themselves or others in a dangerous place or situation.
- Makes recommendations for hazard control or personal protective equipment based on environmental conditions and operational needs.
- Continuously monitors incident scene conditions and equipment resources; reports observations and recommendations to the onsite incident commander to ensure worker and team safety is maintained.
- Follows handling, inspection, cleaning, and preventative maintenance guidelines for all rescue and equipment so that it is in a constant state of readiness. Maintains and accurately inventories and documents all rescue related equipment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or
- National and/or State certification as an Emergency Medical Technician-Basic determined by appropriate state requirements.
- Current CPR certification as established by the American Heart
- Current and valid state-issued driver’s license determined by appropriate state requirements (equivalent of a Louisiana Class “D” driver’s license).
- Must be able to read, write and communicate professionally and effectively with employees and Must possess the ability to write simple correspondence or reports. Must possess the ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to other employees and/or managers.
- Must be knowledgeable of company protocols, operational procedures and safety
- Must be able to drive large vehicles in normal and adverse
- Rescue experience (preferred)
- Knowledge of vehicle extrication techniques (preferred)
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.