Do you have a passion for food, love providing top level customer service and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment? Since our employees are also owners, they care deeply about providing high quality service to each and every customer. Our mission as an employee owned company is to offer quality food choices to the communities we serve, support local farmers and producers, and develop and reinvest in our employee owners. Apply today and begin your ownership journey!
PURPOSE STATEMENT: To maximize sales and profit in the Meat Department through proper cutting, wrapping, and displaying of meat products.
SIGNIFICANT JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To identify the various cuts of meat, to breakdown cut and trim all meat products as directed by company standards, weigh, wrap/package products in a clean, neat and attractive package.
- To greet customers, respond to customer questions/requests/complaints and explain store policies in a courteous manner. To write down customers special orders/requests.
- To review the perishable department Communication Board daily and follow the guidelines for intercom announcements.
- To prepare/organize the cooler/freezer/backroom/preparation area for receipt of merchandise, verify the merchandise against the invoice, inspect the delivery for quality/shortages/damage, sort cases for stocking or product preparation and code-date all case items in the cooler/freezer.
- To clean and sanitize department floors, mirror, case, racks, tables, cooler, freezer, department equipment, product-preparation area, and shelves. Safely use cleaning equipment and chemicals.
- To load stocking carts/pallets, transport cases/product to sales floor/ cooler/freezer/product preparation area either on stocking carts or pallets, match the case strip to the shelf/case tag/stock, open cases, place merchandise in the designated cooler/freezer/case/shelf/display position/area, check the product code/freshness date and “face/front”/rotate each product on display.
- To understand the operations, safety requirements and restraints of a baler, case cutter, pallet jack, pricing gun, grinder, tenderizer, saw, knife, slicer, scales, wrapper, (must be 18 years or older to operate the pallet jack, forklift, baler, grinder, tenderizer, saw and slicer).
- To count and record individual items of merchandise for inventory.
- To change department pricing on the scale system as directed and manually price-mark/label merchandise without a UPC code.
- To evaluate product quality and move damaged/unsaleable and “returnable” products from the shelf/case to the backroom for re-processing into a saleable form or marking the product down in price.
- To change signs, light bulbs, and signs/tags on the case/shelf display.
- To check case and cooler/freezer temperatures 4 times daily utilizing the time keeping system to record each check.
- To record “out-of-stock” conditions and the time they occur, report to the department manager.
- To perform miscellaneous tasks assigned by the manager, substituting for absent workers and performing any additional tasks necessary to provide products and services to customers,
- Basic mathematical ability (add, subtract, multiply, divide) and ability to count.
- Able to give/receive complex verbal instructions/descriptions to/from supervisors/co-workers/employees concerning store/department policy/procedures and use of equipment.
- The ability to read and write English. Able to read instructions, case/product labels, temperature gauges, warehouse order codes, numbers, reports, printed paper invoices and order forms.
- Make judgments concerning the cutting and trimming of fresh meat, placement of merchandise on the shelf/display (spatial relationship), case-opening procedures, extent of unsalable product damage, conversation with customers, selling of product, display of product, use of packaging materials for product, quality of product for display and ordering of processed items.
- Able to open cases and stock so those products will not be damaged.
- Able to clearly price-mark/label products for customers and cashiers.
- Good interpersonal communications.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Prior experience or training as a meat cutter.
- Prior experience operating a baler, case cutter, cleaning/sanitation equipment, pallet jack, pricing gun, grinder, tenderizer, saw, knife, slicer, scales, wrapper, smoker, (must be 18 years or older to operate the pallet jack, forklift, baler, grinder, smoker, tenderizer, saw and slicer).
TASKS OF THE JOB This position generally requires:
- To move cases from truck/pallet to backroom/preparation area, cardboard/packing material from the sales floor to the backroom, excessive cases/damaged product from the sales floor to backroom storage and to retrieve supplies/product/maintenance equipment and return, approximate maximum 100 yards.
- To check the case/cooler/freezer temperature 4 times daily, approximately 75 yards.
- Work on tile or concrete for a maximum of 8 hours in duration.
- Lift a maximum of 75 lbs. from 6 inches to 36 inches.
- Lift a maximum of 75 lbs. from 6 inches to 84 inches on to overhead/ cooler/freezer storage rack.
- Move a maximum of 75 lbs. up to 10 yards.
- Pick up/move/attach signage/sort/open case/item/trash from floor/shelf/cart/pallet/cooler/freezer storage.
- Reach forward/down with both hands up to 36″ inches to prepare and package product on table/wrapper/wrapping machine.
- Use both hands to attain merchandise/cases on the top shelf of cooler/freezer storage shelves/rack, up to 84 inches from the floor.
- Reach forward/down with both hands up to 36 inches to attain merchandise on stocking cart, multi-tray rack or pallets and to clean shelves/floor area.
- Reach forward/down/up with both hands up to 36 inches to place items on shelving/displays and in cases/freezer.
- Reach up to place signs and banners in place.
- Handle labels/signs/tags/trays, cardboard/packaging and debris, case cutter and knives.
- Grasp and handle wet/iced/cold/metal/paper/plastic trays and equipment.
- Twist at the waist while cleaning, cutting/opening, packaging, preparing product, sorting, loading/unloading, moving/removing merchandise and stocking merchandise.
- Move stocking carts, pallet jacks (up to 1000 lbs.) and maintenance equipment approximately 75 yards.
- Climb on ladders, racks, cases and shelving up to 12 feet in height.
- Balance on cases of product and cooler/freezer rack.
- Perceive cases, case-cutter edge, case strips, shelf location, product size/ description, equipment controls, case load limits, price-marking equipment, department production equipment, customers, co-workers, shelf tags, labels on products, stocking carts, temperature gauges/controls, invoice/packing slip, code date, reports, packaging materials, debris on floor, aisle markers, and signs.
- Perceive color difference of product and product labels.
- Perceive cleaning/maintenance equipment, pallet jacks, and baler controls.
- Listen to the sound of case cutter/department production equipment/ baler/pallet jack/cleaning equipment operation “noises”.
- Communicate with and listen to customers, co-workers and vendors.
- Use and respond to the intercom/phone system.
- Read production-equipment gauges/controls, case labels/strips, equipment and chemical-warning labels, signs, tags, shelf signs, code dates, invoices, temperature gauges, reports, numbers and aisle markers.
Inside and outside work with extreme variations in temperature, dust and humidity from entrance/back door/compressors/cooler/freezer.