General Statement of Duties and Distinguishing Features of Class
The City of Mason operates the Mason Community Center, Mason Municipal Aquatic Center, and various outdoor park sites where recreation programs, special events, and facility rentals are held. This individual works under the general direction of the Membership Services Supervisors and works closely with other Parks & Recreation personnel as well as personnel from other departments of the City.
This position is responsible for providing exceptional customer service to residents, Community Center members, guests of the City of Mason, and employees at City facilities.
City recreational facilities are open 365 days per year. Work hours are varied and will include evenings, weekends, and holidays to support programming, special events, facility rentals, and staff.
The City of Mason values building a culture of wellness in the Mason community. Customer Service Specialists are expected to promote positive and respectful interactions between guests and employees.
The nature of this position requires the incumbent to work within the Parks & Recreation Department. The position may require the individual to cross-function across divisions within the Parks & Recreation Department and City departments as assigned to assist with City priorities & initiatives.
This is a public service job based on trust, credibility, and competency. It is a critical requirement of this position that the incumbent displays the desire and ability to perform and behave (on duty, as well as off duty) in a manner that does not damage or endanger the loss of trust with the public, co-workers, and other public safety forces.
The candidate must meet the following qualifications and requirements at the time of appointment.
Examples of Work (Illustrative Only)
- Assures guests are entering facilities in accordance with the City’s established policies and procedures (i.e., paid admissions, age requirements, etc.)
- Exhibits general knowledge of the facility, programs, and services, and the ability to answer guest inquiries in person, over the telephone, and by email.
- Correctly follows all opening and closing procedures, including balancing a cash drawer, counting, and preparing money for bank deposit, and completing all necessary paperwork/reports.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office with the ability to learn and use the Center’s RecTrac software.
- Maintains a clean and neat working environment.
- Operates various office machines and equipment as needed.
- Prepares and maintains administrative records and paperwork as requested.
- Assists with training new staff.
- Attends and leads in-service training sessions.
- Display knowledge of the Department’s Infections Matter & Exposure Incident Policy and facility Emergency Action Procedures.
- Administer and record any first aid/victim care within the level of emergency training.
- Demonstrates knowledge of all emergency procedures through City facilities.
- Performs related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:The following are preferred
- Must be a team player, and maintain good working relationships with employees and the public.
- Ability to acquire and maintain CPR/AED certification.
- Ability to communicate with the public in person, on the telephone, and by email.
- Possess cash handling experience and preparing reports.
- Ability to follow oral and written directions.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including a variety of evenings, weekends & holidays.
- Detail-oriented and ability to multi-task required.
- Good organization and interpersonal communication skills
Minimum Education, Experience, and Requirements
- Experience related to the duties of the position.
- Possession of a high school diploma or GED.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Software programs.
- Work in a recreational/office environment with frequent walking & standing.
- Ability to stoop and crouch and sit or stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs. of materials independently.
- Normal visual acuity to see objects up close or at a distance, with or without correction, or with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Auditory acuity to hear; individuals, cell phones, telephones, alarms, etc. with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Manual dexterity to perform tasks such as writing, using keypads, filing, keyboarding, etc.
- Ability to mentally handle associated tasks, problems, solutions, and all other mental tasks associated with positions of this nature.
I understand this position is a position at will, and nothing in this job description and no oral statements made to me in connection with this job description can be construed as a contract of employment