Status:Full-Time with Client
Salary: :To be discussed with a Bryant Staffing Solutions Recruiter during our initial conversation
Bonus:20% of Salary
Location:Schaumburg, IL or New York, NY
Work Setting:Hybrid (2-3 days in the office)
(NOTE: This position does not have litigation responsibilities.):
- Our client has an exciting opportunity for a talented attorney to join the Legal Services team as an Assistant General Counsel within their prestigious Corporate Law department. This role will provide expert legal counsel on a broad range of life insurance regulatory matters to enable the business to achieve its strategic and commercial goals in accordance with applicable laws and regulations and to protect and preserve the company’s tangible and intangible assets.
- The ideal candidate will have experience in the Life insurance field with an emphasis on regulatory issues that may impact the organization and stakeholders.
- As a strategic partner to our business units, the ideal candidate will be able to provide expert legal advice on a wide variety of insurance regulatory matters including the development and distribution of our insurance products, and market conduct examinations.
- This Assistant General Counsel will also review contracts as appropriate, address corporate policy and compliance issues, as well as provide legal advice on insurance laws and regulations along the business value chain, from product development to distributing products in the market, supporting the business to achieve its strategic and commercial goals.
- Act as a strategic partner to clients by consulting on complex regulatory issues with a focus on distribution-related matters, product development, and legal support of market conduct examinations
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with key business unit leaders, functional subject matter experts, and other support unit personnel assigned to the business unit, to ensure the appropriate level of context and knowledge for the provision of effective legal guidance and delivery of problem-solving strategies
- Support management in developing open and transparent relationships with key stakeholders which is consistent with the organization’s values and compliant with the spirit and the letter of the law
- Juris Doctor degree (Required)
- 7+ years of legal experience with a law firm or in-house
- Insurance Regulatory experience Required
- Member of the Bar Association
- Knowledge of NILS, Lexis or Westlaw
- Ability to engage, inform and influence decisions at senior levels of the organization
- Knowledge of or direct experience in the Life insurance marketplace, including group/individual Life products (traditional, advanced, variable and annuities), supplemental benefits (i.e., encompasses cancer/critical illness, specified disease, hospital indemnity, and accident), group/individual disability income products and associated regulatory issues and requirements
- As a plus, knowledge of or direct experience in the Accident & Health marketplace, including products such as Group Accident, Occupational Accident, Specialty Health, and Travel insurance, and associated regulatory issues and requirements
- Knowledge of independent producer, broker, general agencies and bank distribution channels and Life administration
- Knowledge of group and individual insurance laws
- Ability to work in a team-based, solutions-oriented environment
- Creative problem-solver adept at working in a fast-paced environment and successfully managing competing interests of multiple internal and external stakeholders
- Knowledge of Commercial Insurance Laws and ERISA are an added plus